Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Noise Petals - s/t mLP (1988, Stonegarden)

I wasn't aware of it at the time of purchase (or for that matter when I took it for an initial test drive), but Noise Petals was commandeered by Jeremy Toback, who would in five years go on to rock the four-string (and occasionally take the mic) in Brad.  Yes, that Brad, the Pearl Jam splinter project involving Stone Gossard.  Okay, I get it.  If you're not exactly starstruck by this revelation you're completely forgiven.

As for the record at hand, I was anticipating just about anything, but was hoping for something a la the Replacements or REM.  Instead, Noise Petals revealed themselves to be a nondescript collegiate guitar rock quartet, whose most prominent attribute fell to Toback's consistent bass poppin' forte.  Noise Petals vaguely suggests Me and Mr. Ray-era Miracle Legion, but that's about as specific I can get.  To my knowledge, this was the band's first (and last) will and testament. 

01. The More Things Change
02. North By South
03. Skin
04. Trespass
05. The Happy Song
06. You Should Be Afraid
07. Were Yeats Gene Simmons

Hear

No comments: