Sunday, March 2, 2008

Bangtails - Hypnotic Downpour ep (1987)

First and foremost, I'd like to give props to Little Hits blog because if it wasn't for the fact I was exposed to the Bangtails on their site, this post simply would not exist. You can read the write-up as well as download two of the this ep's four songs here (or heck, just download the whole shebang from me). I was able to procure an original copy of the ep shortly after the LH post, and have decided to share it with the world at large.

The Bangtails were from Kansas City. These days, the band is considered to be a minor footnote in the career of Archer Prewitt, whom he served as bass player for. This was the Bangtails one and only release, which is a shame. Sonically, they are awash in chiming jangle pop, straight out of REM 101, circa Chronic Town. The Bengtails were further defined by singer Mike Winston, who's strained-to-the-max croon echoes of Squirrel Bait vocalist Peter Searcy. Though these diametric facets sound seemingly uncomfortable on paper, they actually translate well onto record. For me, this was a very pleasant find. Incidentally, the sleeve was designed by Archer Prewitt, but you can read more about that from the Bangtails link on Little Hits. Light up a stick of patchouli and enjoy.
 
01. Patron of the Arts
02. Full of Daylight
03. While Laughing
04. Giants/Dead Rain
 

5 comments:

jimmybuttons said...

wow, it's amazing how much those strained/gravely vocals add to what would normally be passable/typical 80s "college rock."

at their most desperate, the vocals remind me of 90s (scr)emo footnote, five-o.

bangsterDrummer said...

THE best live band from KC. The guys were intelligent, artsy and a little smelly. Two of them used alias names on EP so hard to follow up on their whereabouts.

The Moonshiner said...

I work with the guy who was lead guitar and vocals for The Bangtails. He just made a site with demo recordings and other items, check it out:

http://thebangtails.com/

Bruce K. said...

I'm a little shocked that I don't have a comment on this already because after my introduction to it through this blog "While Laughing" has been one of my absolute top tracks of the past decade. Just sensational especially the desperate vocals. And thanks to the Moonshiner for pointing me to the site where "the guy" put up the demos etc. I was just listening to "While Laughing" the other day -- and then tonight -- and thought I should offer this affirmation.

Unknown said...

I know this post is very old, but zippyshare links expire, would you mind reuploading this album? I've heard Patron of the Arts and I love it, and I'd love to hear more, but I can't seem to find it anywhere else